Sunday, March 8, 2015

How Brands "Inspire" Consumers to Purchase

When watching Simon Sinek’s TEDxPuget Sound talk, one brand kept coming to mind that embodies everything Sinek brought up.  “People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it,” he said, as I thought back on everything I had done as recently as yesterday.  What was the driving force behind every decision I made?  Why did I decide to do the things I did and not the alternatives?  And I quickly realized, it was happiness. 
My happiness and the happiness of the people around me was my reason for doing the things I did and for making the choices I made, even the simplest decisions.  This is the same driving force Coca-Cola uses to sell their products.  Consumers don’t buy a Coca-Cola product because they necessarily believe it tastes the best, or because it is the healthiest alternative for them, they buy a Coca-Cola product because of what the brand represents. 
Simon Sinek states that in order for people to follow a brand, understand it, or purchase it, the brand must appeal to the market in the form of “why, how, what.”  This means that a brand must help the market understand why they are important and why their products are relevant before they explain what it is they are trying to sell. 
Coca-Cola bases their marketing strategy on selling happiness, not on selling a drink.  The brand is associated with the joy of Santa Claus during the holiday season, they are linked to having fun at the beach in the summertime, and for years the brand has been an icon at movie theaters.  Coca-Cola has explored with marketing all around the world, they have brought countries and cultures together, always showing the happiness that they can bring to people.  All of these marketing efforts revolve around the pursuit of happiness, they just happen to show people sharing a Coca-Cola drink.
Coca-Cola explains to consumers how the brand’s goal is to make them happy, to share memories and great times with their friends and family, and to forget about the stresses and negative parts of life.  This is the “why” in Simon Sinek’s model.  Then the brand goes into the drinking and sharing of a Coca-Cola drink while spending time with your loved ones in different scenarios, which explains the “how” aspect in Sinek’s model.  Lastly, (and briefly, as to not take the attention away from the happiness factor) the brand explains that they create these beverages the consumer is drinking, the “what” part of the model.  This model not only helps Coca-Cola sell their product, it makes the consumer see the whole brand as more than just a drink maker.  For Coca-Cola, this has meant being a synonym for happiness for over 100 years.

The second part of Simon Sinek’s TED Talk, explains how the law of diffusion of innovation affects brand outcomes and their impact on the market.  He explains how innovators, early adopters, early majority, late majority and laggards each have different ways of seeing things, and therefore will have different views and opinions on a brand’s marketing efforts. 
At one point or another, I have found myself in several of these categories as a consumer.  This usually depends on the potential impact a decision might have on my life personally and professionally, and on the product knowledge there is available.  For simpler purchases such as a pair of running shoes, I have fallen under the early adopters category for years.  I am always open and willing to try fitness gear as soon as I learn about it, especially if they are Nike running shoes.  Not having to research much before making the purchase, I quickly embrace the idea and will be open to trying the products that will have a certain impact on my everyday fitness. 
On the other hand, a purchase or decision that will have a heavy and long term impact in my life usually places me in the late majority category.  This was especially true when it came to deciding where to go to Graduate School.  After much research, asking a lot of questions and numerous pros and cons lists, I had two choices for where I would get my Masters Degree.  I contacted alumni, visited campuses and interviewed with both before I made a decision.  I had very practical concerns, such as costs, living arrangements, transportation and education, and I was very careful as to what I would be getting myself into.  This lead to an educated choice that has positively impacted my life, but only after a lot of thought went into making the decision.

Every consumer is different and has a different way of making purchasing decisions.  It is up to a brand to captivate the market in a unique and effective way in order to encourage purchases and brand recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment